With this work I wanted to test my JS and jQuery skills on a real mini-project. I just planned to make something small but working.
I focused on the following skills to practice them:
- manipulating JS arrays
- jQuery AJAX
- small PHP code handling AJAX request
- see how MySQL and PhpMyadmin look like and how to work with them
This is a small app simulating UEFA Champions League group stage draw. Draw 32 teams into 8 groups and see their upcoming fixtures ordered in accordance with some UEFA Champions League rules.
Challenges during project
- manipulating JS objects and arrays was sometimes hard. I wish I knew lodash back then
- calling a server-side info via PHP was new to me but I got it working quickly
- handling fetched data from DB was a bit tricky although I knew how to make AJAX calls in theory
- when I deployed the work to live server, it did not work, although it worked on localhost. It took me many hours to figure out where exactly the problem was